In order to honor the too-short life of our dear daughter and friend, Aine Marie Phillips, we have established the organization “Friends of Aine” that will:
- Insist on a formal, inclusive and transparent investigation of the care provided to Aine leading up to her death.
- Champion legislation to establish a more open case review process that is inclusive of patients and their representatives. We reject the current system that, due to its founding principles, often leaves litigation as the only option.
- Raise awareness of Pulmonary Venoocclusive Disease (PVOD).
- Raise awareness of the dangers of misdiagnosing children and using “labels” consistent with symptoms rather than investigating the actual cause of those symptoms.
- Strive to improve child patient/doctor relationships by:
- Including parents in case reviews.
- Reviewing the overall role of the pediatrician as the primary care “hub”
- Promoting a “holistic” approach to Patient care. Physicians must treat the patient as a whole person, not as a group of parts or systems (specialties).